A FEW BASIC CREDIT CARD TIPS
- Avoid late payment fees. They are a huge waste of your money.
- Time payments to credit your account a few days before your statement due date.
- The occasional late payment may be waived if you contact your credit card company, explain why your payment was late and request a credit on fees and interest.
- If unable to pay off large credit card purchases in full, pay as much as you can as quickly as possible.
- Don't pay only your minimum monthly payment and incur high interest charges.
- Charging your credit card in a foreign country could incur substantial foreign transaction fees on all your purchases. There are credit cards available that don't charge foreign transaction fees on foreign purchases.
- Credit cards with rebates, cash back, travel awards, or other perks may carry higher rates and fees. Travel reward dollars can often be converted to cash awards.
- Guarantee extensions, returns and dispute policies may be different on items purchased, when paid with a debit vs. a credit card.